A report from Reuters suggests that Donald Trump’s election as President of the United States raises the prospect that the US will pull out of the nuclear pact it signed last year with Iran.
The Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) had been opposed by Republicans in Congress.
Trump has called the deal a “disaster” and “the worst deal ever negotiated” during his campaign, and said it could lead to a “nuclear holocaust.”
He has also declared that his “Number-One priority” would be to “dismantle the disastrous deal with Iran.”
But according to Reuters, he has also criticized the remaining U.S. sanctions that prevent American companies from dealing with Iran.
He has conceded that it would be difficult to destroy a deal enshrined in a UN resolution; last year he said he would not “rip up” the deal, but that he would “police that contract so tough they don’t have a chance.”
Meanwhile, Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said no matter who the United States’ president is, Washington has to carry out its commitments under the July 2015 nuclear deal between Tehran and world powers.
“We do not interfere in the internal affairs of other countries,” Zarif, told reporters on Wednesday. “This is the American people’s election,” he added.
Zarif, however, underlined that anyone becoming US president ought to recognize the realities of the world and the Middle East and face them realistically.
“Iran and the US have no political relations but the US must carry out what it has undertaken as an international multilateral commitment in the JCPOA,” he stressed.
(Sources: Reuters; Tasnim, under Creative Commons licence)